Thursday, January 8, 2015
Sometimes it's easy to define an entire year with one word. Hard. Amazing. Life-changing. But the longer I live the more I realize that each year, heck sometimes each day, is a spectrum. Highs and lows. Ups and downs. Growth and insight. Over the past few years I've noticed a trend in my own life. It goes like this. One year I have a major health challenge. The following year I have a major life event (sometimes two within a few short months). Maybe this is the year the cycle changes.
I love the idea of turning the calendar to take inventory of my priorities. I was talking with a friend over the holiday break and she mentioned one of her goals for the new year was to stay more connected to the people who mattered in her life. Which is kind of the point, right? We need each other to steady the undulations; to share our stories and make life easier for one another. When I look at 2014 I remember some really soul-crushing moments, however I also recall some incredibly joyous memories too. And I'm glad for that. Glad that I get a few more breaths and time on this planet. As to what's ahead for 2015 here's what I'm putting my energy towards.
1. Make more: I have three beautiful craft books sitting on my bookshelf that are begging to be used. Maybe I'll host a couple craft parties so that I can be inspired with an entire group of makers.
2. 52 Project: "A portrait of my child, once a week, every week, in 2015."
3. Become a saver: Saving money as a habit has never been my forte. This year I plan to implement a couple practices that I think will change that.
4. Complain less: Pretty self explanatory.
5. Walk, walk, walk: Since my gym routine has become a little disrupted I'd like to get in the habit of walking around my neighborhood. Because exercise and fresh air, right?